The approach you take to your business-related social media efforts can make all the difference. Some of these tips have to do more with attitude than techniques, some should be obvious but aren’t always obvious–all of them involve an element of common sense.
Here are 10 tips that can help you be more effective:
- Convey enthusiasm! This will translate into good social media conversation and attract more followers.
- Don’t hold back. If you skimp on the info people will begin to regard you as less of an expert or even worse, someone who is hiding something.
- Think before you tweet (or post.) Do some research. Become a sought-after expert.
- No politics, no religion too! People want to learn from you, they don’t want to be preached to.
- Keep it simple. Write in a clear, easy to understand, simple style. No fancy language. Get to the point.
- Be timely. Tie your messages to current events, be part of what’s happening. Don’t post about someone’s funeral a month after it happens.
- Create momentum. Don’t let days and days go by without posting or tweeting. Stay in the picture, be part of the stream.
- Credibility is everything. Don’t pretend to be an expert when you are not. Know what you messaging about and stick to the things you know.
- Confide in your followers. Be a friend, someone they can trust. Don’t talk down to them, talk to them.
- Don’t just sell, sell, sell. Instead of selling cakes, help people understand cake-making, what makes a good cake. At the end of the day, you’ll have educated customers who rely on you for knowledge. They’ll want to reward you by buying your stuff!